I got to spend Valentine’s Day with Sean Penn

OK so I didn’t really. Yep, you got it - Tuesday night curry and film night was reinstated after a fortnight’s break (London and Glossop intervened).

And the film was probably one of the most un-Valentines possible – but then we are the couple who got engaged on Friday 13th February…

The Assassination of Richard Nixon (served up with chicken Kasmiri Mogali, rice and naan bread, now you ask).

A film based on true events about power and powerlessness, respect, maleness, family, money, anger, frustration, and Sam Bicke’s plan to kill the President. As one of the taglines says “the mad story of a true man”.

 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Fat Roland said...

A great, great highly under-rated film. Sean is mesmerising in this. It's kind of him doing Taxi Driver.

I really liked Sean Penn in his other film with Naomi Watts, 21 Grams, but this was the film which made me absolutely love him.

The only real downside to the film is that the Cornerhouse wouldn't let me take my pint in with me when I went to see it. I argued with the staff guy that I'd always been allowed to take beer into the cinema before, and he basically said I was taking the piss.

Okay, that's not really a criticism onm the film itself.

Still, this is the second best film I have seen at the Cornerhouse in the last ten years.