God is in the house

(aka Nick Cave at the Bridgewater Hall last night)

Quote. One of the few truly great, genuinely maverick songwriters and performers of the present day, Nick Cave has announced a very special UK solo tour with just three of his Bad Seeds - Warren Ellis (violin), Martyn Casey (bass) and Jim Sclavunos (drums). SOLD OUT. Unquote.

He was so impressive that only nouns, adjectives and swearwords might do it justice...

Genius. God-like. Thumping. Tender. Raw. Punishing.

Called us c**ts. Told us he loved us. Was sh*t hot and f***ing brilliant. His words, not mine.

Acoustic? My arse. Three broken drumsticks, a fiddle played like an electric guitar, and a song for Johnny Cash dismantled that idea.

They played some classic Bad Seeds tracks (like Red Right Hand, and God is in the House) and some Abattoir Blues/ The Lyre of Orpheus faves (like Cannibal’s Hymn). The latter is a double album that The Bad Seeds' own website describes as “two storming, driving, relentless, devotional, slinky, subtle, heartbreakingly-beautiful records that, lyrically, switch from the cynical to the sanguine, the defeated to the defiant, dealing in love, war, beauty, children, romance, rejection, Pethedine, poetry, panties, God, Auden, Johnny Cash, cold potatoes, too-much-money, not enough money, writer’s block, flowers, animals and more flowers. But maybe we’re projecting here.”

And on the last night of the tour, a glimpse of the homecoming that’s looming:

When I get home, I'm gonna make that call;
When I get home, I'm gonna talk it through;
When I get home, I'm gonna straighten it out...
But right now, right now, right now I am a-roaming.

When I get home, I'm gonna unpack my bags;
When I get home, I'm gonna wash these dirty rags;
When I get home, I'm gonna pack 'em up again
And I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go right back a'roaming.

Last night, God was in the house. Damn right. His name was Nick Cave.

8 comments:

Fat Roland said...

I own two Kylie singles. One is her duet with Nick Cave for the Murder Ballads album.

I own another Kylie duet, and it's not with Jason or Robbie. If you can guess what it is without looking for the answer on my website, I will give you 5p. If you guess incorrectly, you owe me 5p.

I had Stephen baffled on this one at Matt and Phreds last night.

Sarah said...

'In Denial' with Neil Tenant?

LauraHD said...

Keith Washington on "If You Were With Me Now"?

Fat Roland said...

No, none of the above. You each owe me 1p.

A clue... It is XXXX featuring Kylie Minogue and it's a dance tune. Here follows half the lyrics. Most of it is spoken by Kylie, not sung.

"I can compliment you well
Especially in red
Extremely in green
Maybe in blue blue blue
You will like my sense of style
You will like my sense of style
I fit like a glove - ooh!"

Sarah said...

GBI, with Haruomi Hosono.

Fat Roland said...

Sarah, you're close enough. I have a drum & bass remix of GBI by Towa Tei, who was a former member of Deeelight ('Groove Is In The Heart'). It has Kylie robotically telling everyone "I am German Bold Italic, I am a typeface."

You win 1p.

You also lose 1p because you guessed incorrectly too. Hahahahaha, I am rich beyond my wildest buffalo!

Ben said...

I've got a version of I can't get you out of my head set to the New Order classic blue monday...

Fat Roland said...

Now that's a damn good tune! I've only ever heard it live on the tellybox.