Friends, lent me your ears

How's your Lent going?

I know that giving things up isn't really the point of Lent, but that doesn't stop people doing terrible things to themselves like abstaining from chocolate, alcohol or scuba diving.

A couple of plucky bishops have challenged us to give up carbon, maybe to make up for the trees cut down for all those screaming column inches about Sharia law.

It seems ironic that a cardinal has called for people to give up bottled water in Venice of all places.

And maybe giving up your iPod may help you to lead, literally, a less random life.

All of this is nothing compared to what some may consider as a step too far, a devastating act of self-denial. Yes - some devotees, I am told in hushed tones, have made the ultimate sacrifice for Lent.

Now that's commitment.

1 comment:

Rob (the ergonomist). said...

It's Lent? Oh Bugger.

That's the kind of thing that can pass you by out here: there's no seasonal carpet-bombing of advertising to remind you of the things that you should be buying, wearing, investing in, eating or drinking. What advertising there is, is static, so I know (for example) that drinking Guinness will "reveal the true you", drinking Courvoisier will make young women want to stand around me, while I recline in my smoking jacket, and that smoking some brand or other of cigarettes will make me seem effortlessly European.

But chocolate eggs, heart shaped candy and the like, pass me cmpletely by.

I suppose I have given up my job for Lent. Does that count?