Happy Birthday Surprise to Martha and me!

So, as a surprise last night, Mark took me to see Martha Wainwright!

And what a great night it was. Three pints in Academy3/ the union during the course of 3 1/2 hours... a great support act (Johnathan Rice - who barely looked old enough to be out by himself, let alone up that late, but was very fine nonetheless)... and the wonderful lady herself. And it was her birthday! Champers on stage, the crowd singing to her, and the set being damn near perfect. AND I was allowed to buy a T-shirt on the way out. I managed to avoid the "would you rather have this than a U2 one next month?" question that Mark posed as I handed over my £15. Bet THEIR T-shirts won't be that price, and I'll still want one of those.

The best sort of day all round. Thanks Mark! Anytime that you want to surprise me again, feel free...

More of this sort of singing-songwriting gubbins later in the summer when Steve Earle, Thea Gilmore, Shane McGowan, Kathryn Williams, Martyn Joseph, and more, come to town as part of the Swap Festival - www.swapfestival.co.uk

(PS Check out her very fine website - www.marthawainwright.com)

No comments: